Race day Sat 8th Oct 2016
Why October??? The North East Atlantic Ocean is warmest in late September / early October. The sun beats down on the Caribbean all summer and by October that lovely warm water has been pushed by the currents over to Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Coast.
Cumann Peile Naomh Anna (Lettermore GAA) , Clynagh, Carraroe, Co. Galway, Ireland
Let’s be honest the West coast of Ireland isn’t the easiest place to get to. If you are not from Ireland then most likely you will fly to Dublin and hire a car there. Alternatively get a train to Galway then hire a car there. Unfortunately there is only 1 bus per day from Galway to Lettermore, at 4:34pm it is timed to coincide with School / university times.
YOU WILL NEED A CAR!!!
There are no big hotels, but thanks to the Irish Language summer study programme lots and lots and lots of good friendly B&B type accommodation on Lettermore and the surrounding islands. We will get full booking details to you in a week or so.
Alternatively, book a holiday cottage for a week.
Date & Timings:
Compulsory Race Briefing & Kit Check – Cumann Peile Naomh Anna – Friday 7th October 6pm – 7pm
Race Start – Cumann Peile Naomh Anna – 10am Saturday 8th October
Short Course: 4km swim & 20km run
Long Course: 8km swim & 36km run. Longest swim 2km & longest run 10km
The islands have a very large tidal difference so depending on your speed some “swims” might be more akin to coasteering.
Time Cut Offs
There will be two cut offs on the LONG COURSE which will be strictly enforced:
The course will feature a few looped sections. This is to facilitate slower athletes. If you miss a time cut off you will be forced to miss a loop, but continue on the course to the next section. We want you to enjoy your day and not be worrying about the clock… but we need to ensure that you do so in a safe manner, meaning slower athletes might miss the more tidal swim sections.
Who Are We?
SwimRun Ireland is organised by Sean Conroy of Gottaun.ie, Galway’s premier multisport shop and Alan Anderson of Ha Ha Events, the man behind UK’s 3 Pistes Cycle Sportive, LOCH loMAN & Arran Man Triathlon and SwimRun Loch Lomond, SwimRun Snowdonia and SwimRun Ireland.
In 2015 Sean organised Triton, a small SwimRun event in Galway. Alan lives and breathes swimming in his trainers and running in his wetsuit.
The organisers of ÖTILLÖ have kindly given our events permission to use the same rules. This helps standardise things for athletes who have or will compete in their events. The rules can be viewed at https://swimrunuk.wordpress.com/rules/
Athletes will compete in teams of two.
Athletes must wear a wetsuit.
Athletes must carry all their own equipment at all times
- 2.1 To be able to participate in any SwimRunUK/Mallorca race you have to race in a team consisting of two persons that are at least 18 years old and able to swim.
- 2.3 Entry fee is final. No refunds will be given. Deferral can be made to 2017 or an alternative Ha Ha Events SwimRun race if space is available.
- 2.4 It is allowed to substitute one team member in your team.
- 2.5 No external sales of your entry is allowed
4.1 General Equipment
- 4.1.1 All teams need to bring all their equipment from start to finish, if a team fail to bring all their equipment to the finish line they will be disqualified.
4.2 Mandatory equipment
- 1 First aid pressure bandage, packed waterproof
- 2 Wetsuits suitable for water temperature of 10 degrees Celsius
- 1 Compass
- 1 Waterproof map holder
- 2 Whistles
- 1 backpack, hip pack or something to carry the mandatory equipment
- 1 safety tow float (1 per team)
4.3 Mandatory equipment that the organisation will supply
- Race bibs must be worn visible all the time during the race
- Timing chip
- Swimcaps must be worn visible during all the swims
4.4 Recommended equipment
- Water bladder
4.5 Equipment check before the race
- Before the race there will be a mandatory kit check.
4.6 Equipment that is NOT allowed
- Floatation help that is bigger than 100 cm x 60 cm.
There will be NO REFUNDS and NO TRANSFERS. If you become unable to make the event you will be able to defer your entry to 2017 or another SwimRun UK race. Please only sign up if you know you can make the event.
There are only 100 pairs available.
For full details please visit www.swimrun-ireland.com